The Waterloo Bay Hotel – 27 ° 26’31 “S 153 ° 10’15” E / 27.4419 ° S 153.1709 ° E / -27.4419; 153.1709 Coordinates: 27° 26’31 “S 153° 10’15” E / 27.4419° S 153.1709° E / -27.4419; 153.1709
The Waterloo Bay Hotel is a listed property located at 75 Berrima Street, Wynnum, City of Brisbane, Quesland, Australia. Built in 1889 by George Gibbs and expanded in 1918 by George Hry Male Addison. Added to the Quesland Heritage Register on July 28, 2000.
The Waterloo Bay Hotel
The original section of the Waterloo Bay Hotel was built in 1889 by George Gibbs. The hotel was expanded in 1918 during construction by Brisbane architect GHM Addison. Major renovations were also carried out in the late 1980s and 1990s.
Waterloo Bay Hotel Claims Wynnum’s Best Burger Award 2021
The Bay suburbs of Wynnum and Manly became known as Oyster Point and Wyvernleigh after the first homes in the area. The first land sale in the area took place in 1860 around Lytton and Waterloo Bay. In 1882, the Manly Beach estate was put up for auction. Wynnum and Manly were the only bayside stations to open on the Cleveland rail line on November 1, 1889. The completion of the railroad increased the growth of the region and in the early 20th century it became a popular coastal sea. It is a tourist city with many people traveling from Brisbane by train during the week. Wynnum had a siding, loading bank and storage shed until 1891, the terminus for additional Sunday trains from 1889, and the terminus for weekday services from 1 March 1892.
The Waterloo Bay Hotel was built in 1889 by local mason George Gibbs. Gibbs was born in Cornwall and sailed to Australia in 1863 on the Fiery Star with his wife and his son. After his second son was born and his first son died, Gibbs returned to Cornwall. He had two more children and his first wife died. In 1875, with his new wife and four children, Gibbs left Cornwall for Australia on the Great Quesland again, disembarking at Maryborough and living on Gibbs Street in Kelvin Grove. Gibbs bought land on Mary (later Berrima) Street in May 1889 and began building a hotel. He applied for and was granted a license through the South Brisbane Licensing Court. Brisbane Courier reported on November 7th that “…the house is complete and ready to occupy”. The Waterloo Bay Hotel opened on November 6, 1889, just five days after the opening of the Cleveland Railroad.
Gibbs owned the hotel until 1892, but due to ill health, it was sold and his family moved to Gibbs Street in Wynnum. The hotel was sold to Sarah Jane King in March 1892. Ownership passed to William Morris in 1895 and to Hell Rankin Turner in August 1896. The hotel was purchased by William D. O’Connor in August 1898. He remained the owner until his death. . January 14, 1950. O’Connor was the licensee from the date of purchase until October 1901, when he leased the building to Bernard Knedy for t years. In August 1907, Knedy transferred the lease balance to Augustus Marshall, who held it until May 1908.
Sarah Baird took over the hotel rental in May 1908. Initially her husband Robert was licensed, but Sarah passed away after her death in June 1910. In January 1911, Baird applied to the Licsing Court to play her music at the hotel every Saturday. Every week she had to fill out a new application. According to the South Brisbane Licce Register, the Waterloo Bay Hotel was one of the first hotels on the south side of the river to have weekly music. In October 1911, Amelia Connell signed a new lease with her husband Robert. Until that day, the hotel stopped music. On 7 March 1918 and 19 October 1917 Amelia Connell died on a t-year lease. February 1918 Government Gazette transfers Amelia’s interest in lease to Connell to Patrick Joseph O’Shea and leases from Surrder Patrick O’Shea to William Dis O’Connor. In February 1918, O’Connor commissioned architect GHM Addison to renovate the hotel. Renovations included the construction of a new public bar on the ground floor and private accommodation on the ground floor.
Travelodge Edinburgh Central Waterloo Place Hotel
O’Connor’s death was recorded on January 14, 1950, at which point ownership of the tires passed to Douglas Wadley and Graham O’Connor as managers. In September 1956, the hotel lease was transferred to Quesland Brewery Ltd. This contract lasted until 1985 when it moved to Ashwick (Qld). Ownership passed to Moreton Bay Holdings in early 1987.
In November 1989, the tenants organized a week-long celebration to mark the hotel’s 100th anniversary. According to an article in the Bayside Bulletin of November 14, 1989, “… the Waterloo Bay Hotel is doing an unprecedented service to the community and it looks like it will welcome 200 years of comfort and peace.” Renovations carried out in the 1980s added a brewery and restaurant. At the end of 1999 a new rotation was carried out.
Still a focal point for the region and surrounding communities, the Waterloo Bay Hotel has been identified as a heritage within the Wynnum-Manly regional plan.
Waterloo Bay Hotel is located on a triangular site in Wynnum surrounded by Berrima Street and Bay and Byrnside Terraces. A mature Moreton Bay fig tree is located on the eastern corner of the building.
Restaurants In Miami Beach
The original (1889) part of the hotel is a two-story stone building with a hip roof covered with corrugated iron. The roof features two neat chimneys with molding details. The building has a terrace on the ground floor and a balcony with iron railings and chamfered wooden posts and supports on the first floor. The wooden beams on the first floor have a straight concrete floor. Paired wooden doors with steps and a fanlight assembly with lead light detail are located on the transom in the lounge bar area.
Inside, the ceiling of the lounge bar area on the ground floor features a plaster cornice with decorative egg and dart motif details. A transom to the east of the original section leads to a beer section that was added to the building in the 1980s. The doorway, which was the eastern wall of the original section, leads to an original wooden spiral staircase with walkways and decorations. The new motif 4 rooms open onto the first floor balconies on the west side of the building. The bedroom has a double sash with wooden construction. The ceiling is finished in metal. Each room has a wooden door leading to a balcony. Two rustic rooms with French wooden doors leading to balconies are located in the center of the floor. To the south of the wooden staircase there is more accommodation and is occupied. Three sets of wooden French doors lead to balconies in the area. The passage runs north-south along the first floor, leading to an extension in 1918. Trans to later expansions were closed. On the d of the south wall there is a large window with a wooden structure and frosted decorative glass. toilet with accessories
A later extension (1918) is a two-story brick with a hip roof covered with corrugated iron. Internally, the bar is located along the east wall. Along the north wall are large windows with frosted glass in the design of wooden arches and lighthouses. The bar area is on the ground floor with original gypsum ceilings with decorative cornices. Sanitary facilities are located in the western corner. The bar area adjoins the games room which was added to the hotel in the 1960s. The first floor, expanded in 1918, is now used as accommodation.
Waterloo Bay Hotel was listed in the Quesland Heritage Register on July 28, 2000 meeting the following criteria:
Waterloo Bay Photos
Built in 1889 and expanded several times since, the Waterloo Bay Hotel is one of the most important developments in Quesland’s history, closely linked to the railway construction to Wynnum and the development of Wynnum leading to Wynnum’s popular seaside resort. Town. late 19th and early 20th century. The Cleveland-Wynnum line was one of the rail lines built specifically for recreational purposes and is important to understanding the development of railways in Quesland. The opening of the Cleveland-Wynnum area could increase the number of hikers and tourists, and the Waterloo Bay Hotel was able to take advantage of that increased population. The Waterloo Bay Hotel is also significant as an example of a hotel that has been in operation for more than a century, and is one of the few buildings remaining in Wynnum with the opening of the railroad.
Built in a style similar to the Grandview Hotel in Waterloo Cleveland
The waterloo, the isle hotel waterloo ia, hotel near waterloo, the isle waterloo hotel, the waterloo hotel, the wellington hotel waterloo, the waterloo hotel newport, waterloo hotel, the royal hotel waterloo, the bay waterloo, the waterloo hotel london, waterloo bay